Friday, July 24, 2009

Not Beautiful but Badass


Allow me to introduce you to the Beast. This is the wilderness escape vehicle. I love riding in the woods, It's out of the sun and moving along quickly I have a cooling breeze all the way Throughout the summer there ain't enough SPF for my German-Irish ancestry to stay out in the Florida sun. Singletrack is the answer. To the extent that I ever do stop and smell the flowers that is where they are. This is the bike for that Florida woodland singletrack.

I can't say for sure just what GT frame this is. I believe it's a late 90s Backwoods, but that's only a guess. The fork of course is a late 90s Girvin Crosslink, relatively little travel but well damped and more stable under my 200+ pounds than some rigid forks. Oh, and probably as light as any Clydesdale rated suspension fork ever built, then or now.

Contrary to expectations we do have some very serious trails here in Florida, no long climbs or descents but what there are run straight down, around and out of things like mining quarries. I don't have that where I ride regularly and this bike is a bit long and has limited travel for that sort of thing. But it does get me through when I do meet the stuff. Mostly, it is a winding, rooted, loose surface world I ride in. Oh, and occasional patches of soft, white, sugar sand ranging from 10 to 200 yards long. I can plow through some sand.


The drivetrain is mostly Shimano 8s LX; shifters, ders, rear hub, brakes, with Truvativ FireX cranks and rings. Someone really needs to talk to them about their branding. "Truvativ" sounds like some erstwhile Eastern Bloc knock-off manufacturer from the Cold War days. Yeah, that's a rollamajig or thingie or whatever the technical term is. It really does improve shifting and helps keep the rear cable housing out of the way. That's how old this bike is, downtube cabling with all the hassles that has off road. With the Rollagadget I can keep the housing real short and tied out of the way.

The aftermarket derailleur hanger is the result of trying to re-use a Shimano chain pin. Apparently there's a reason they insist on that replacement pin. This foolishness destroyed the hanger and the Deore der.

Yes, there's no small chainring. Soon there may be no large one either. The poise angle of sand being what it is, there is nothing so steep that I need the small ring that has enough traction for any human to ride in that low a gear. None of our hills here are long enough to need it either.


Here's the back end view, with a good look at the tractor like tire on back. It's the WTB Velociraptor set. Which aside from the fierce sounding name is a now traditional paddle wheel back, arrow pattern front. Most of my riding is on a loose mix of sand and leaf litter and this works well. The other pattern that works is the wide rounded tire with lots of smaller nubs, the Continental Vertical is the premier example. I'll probably go with those or something much like for the next set.


Front wheel is American Classic hub with a Velocity Aeroheat rim. Great rim, okay hub. Oh, the paint. There isn't any. No anodize either, just raw aluminum. The previous owner had defaced the clear coat in the process of removing the decals that told everyone that it wasn't the Zaskar that he was trying to represent it as. No I didn't pay Zaskar money. In fact it was barely "old GT with defaced decals" money. Actually the price paid was "this is what you get for telling lies and damaging a cool old bike frame" money, $15.

Here's another view of the rear quarter being inspected by geese. They did not attack.

This bike has been attacked on two occasions by armadillos. Apparently they are extraordinarily stupid creatures who when startled are as likely to bolt in the direction of the thing that alarmed them as away. Both times they were browsing about six feet away from the trail and then shot straight across the trail into me. Both times they bounced off the back of the front tire, under the bottom bracket and out the other side before being run over by the back tire. I am not entirely sure this was not the same armadillo both times - they sorta all look the same. Both immediately went back to digging for grubs or whatever they're scraping after. Two important lessons; the sound of an aluminum chainring scraping over the back of an armadillo will ring in your ears and make your teeth hurt for days. You will beg to hear nails on a blackboard and sand in a bottle cap. The other is that armadillos are tough enough to survive being so incomprehensibly stupid. A veterinarian who does a lot of wildlife work assures me that I was in more danger than these stupid animals.

So now we've reached the point where I wonder if this bike is "vintage" yet or just old. I am curious to see what new technology has to offer. As light as that fork is, the overall bike is still 28 pounds total and that isn't exactly a featherweight. Not too bad for something that can haul me over logs and rocks, but some time in the next year I'll have to see if I shouldn't be riding a bike from the current century.

No comments:

Post a Comment